Have you ever heard of dermatillomania?
It is a form of OCD: compulsive skin picking (find out more at skinpick.com).
As I was looking for natural solutions in all areas of my life, I had to take a hard look at what I’m applying on my lips a hundred times a day.
So grateful that I found a great base recipe that I could develop into my own signature lip balm, which I would like to share with you all:
- 2 heaped tablespoon beeswax pellets or carnauba wax for a vegan version
(beeswax makes the lip balm smoother than carnauba wax)
- 2 tablespoons raw bio shea butter
- 2 tablespoons raw bio cocoa butter
- ½ tablespoon cold pressed bio coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon bio sweet almond oil
- 2 teaspoons bio grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon evening primrose oil
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- Lip balm containers
- 10 drops of doTERRA therapeutic grade essential oil
I use different oils and blends for various flavors and therapeutic benefits.
A few examples:
Immune support: 6 drops On Guard blend, 4 drops Frankincense
Healing: 3 drops Frankincense, 3 drops Myrrh, 2 drops Copaiba, 2 drops Helichrysum
Soothing: 4 drops Lavender, 2 drops Yarrow Pom, 2 drops Frankincense
Feel free to get creative with your essential oils, keeping in mind that some oils and their blends are photosensitive!
- Melt the wax first over a hot water bath, then add the other solid oils.
- Once all liquid, mix in the liquid oils in, except the essential oils.
- Remove the mixture from the hot water bath and mix in the essential oils.
- Carefully pour the mixture into lip balm containers and allow to cool and solidify.
Feel free to substitute the liquid oils of the recipe with any other natural option.